With the wide variety of massages, each providing a different experience, choosing the right massage can be a bit daunting. A good massage is truly a treat and offers many health benefits, but how do you find the massage that’s right for you?
Aside from massage types, there are a few tips that can help you get the most out of your massage experience. So what are the different kinds of massages? What are some tips to help you have the best possible massage experience?
1. Relaxation Massages
First let’s talk about massages that work best for relaxation. After all, Some massages are more soothing than others.
- Swedish Massage: This is one of the most common types of massage therapy. It’s best for an intro to massage, stress relief, relaxation, releasing cramped or tense muscles, and couples massage.
- Hot Stone Massage: During hot stone massage, your body is not only weighted down with hot, smooth stones, but the masseuse also uses the stones to massage your body. The heat helps release the tension in your back and shoulders, mostly, so those muscles can be worked on more effectively. It’s best for centering yourself, releasing very tense muscles, and relaxation.
Obviously these are only a few selections, but they are some of the most common massages for relaxation.
2. Massages For Pain and Treating Certain Conditions
Relaxations massages are great for stress relief and tense muscles. However when you have knotted muscles, more attentive techniques are required. Here are a few massages that do just that:
- Deep Tissue Massage: Deep tissue massage applies deep pressure onto specific trouble points. This particular massage can be a bit painful and leave you feeling sore. Deep tissue is best for treating stiff, painful trouble spots like the shoulder and neck.
- Trigger Point Massage: This type of massage focuses on specific areas of the body, rather than massaging the whole body. In this technique, the therapist pinpoints exactly the “problem” muscle and coaxes it with deep pressure to relax. It’s best for chronic muscle pain and tension.
3. Health and Rejuvenation Massages
These next few massages should leave you feeling better overall, and give you a bit of an energy boost.
- Shiatsu Massage: This massage combines gentle stretches with finger pressure to work on different pressure points. The idea is to fix imbalances in the flow of energy in your body. Shiatsu massages are best for ailments such as headaches, back pain, and lack of energy.
- Thai Massage: A Thai massage works your entire body. It’s one of the most invigorating types of massages, as the therapist rigorously manipulates your body, moving it into yoga-like stretches. Thai massages are best for improving energy, increased flexibility, overall health and well-being.
4. Massage Tips
There are a few things you can do to help improve your overall massage experience. Before choosing a massage, make sure to think about the results you want to achieve. Do you want a relaxation massage or a massage for pain? Set out your massage goals beforehand!
Additionally, make sure to stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water can increase the benefits of your massage; hydrate both before and after your sessions. You may also want to refrain from eating anything too heavy before or directly after your massage.
The Best Massage Experience Takeaway
There are many more types of massages, however these are the most common ones. All in all, one of the best ways to have a good massage experience is to be informed. Know what you are looking to get out of the massage beforehand, that will make choosing the right massage a lot easier.
Interested in building your business? With Massage Practice Building we show you how to build your client base, how they and others can help you grow your business, develop it into a system that continues to feed you clients and how you can give your clients additional tools for their wellness goals. What makes Massage Practice Building different than other coaching and training? Our program is designed to build your career however you want it and extend your career your entire lifetime. It’s a solid business program that is guaranteed to succeed. At Massage Practice Building we really do care about your success!